just a little update on Wyatt's speech:
I feel like I have done most of everything I can with trying to find out what he needs, what we can afford, what is through our insurance, etc.
we finally found ONE place in charlotte that is through our insurance and why no one found this before don't ask me. once I put my foot down, I found answers.
anyway, the first appointment they had was jan 13th. well, that didn't work for me. I had had the state assessment a month prior, I was and it took over a month to even get there with all the confusion about who covered us, who didn't.
so, the therapist and I were in touch over the holidays and she had a cancellation on the 30th, so of course we went.
here are the facts:
it is CMC rehabilitation/speech therapy, dr. Matthews recommended it as well.
it is in an office.
it is "free" or covered
the state sounds great - comes to my house, works as a family, I have a team, etc
the state will be $70/week out of pocket.
sooooo.....
we walked into a very tiny waiting room that was a bit hot and a bit smelly. I didn't like it so far.
once we went back, every therapist that I saw had a flu mask on. didn't like that either.
I know it is flu season, but we are here for SPEECH.
the therapist was great though. I was so impressed with wyatt and I am able to stay in the room and observe.
she asked if he mimics me, yes. that was great she said.
she put him in a seat and brought out toys and made him say them or he wouldn't get them there was a mama toy and he said something that she said was mama.
what wyatt does, is he talks all the time....but without closing his lips together. now, he can say moo and it closes, but in a humming way. that is why he doesn't say mama.
if you say dada, its easy. baa for sheep, he opens his mouth and says aaaahhh. it's right, but what she was doing was putting her hands and trying to close his lips sometimes.
he liked her and it was pretty fascinating to witness.
I almost started crying because I had to tell her that I was proud of myself. I have been repeating, reading, acting a fool with sounds, etc, trying to get him to learn to talk, makes sounds, etc. and I was so impressed with him.
so, I have decided to stick it out for a few more sessions with her and see.
here is the catch. she wants us to come once a week.
her next appointment was the 20th.
wyatt is in school Monday and Wednesday and that only leaves Thursday mornings open for us and with her schedule.
so, we are screwed with the once a week thing, which I don't like.
I squeezed myself in my old appointment on the 13th but it is in the afternoon, which means I need to get a sitter for Lawton, which means that will cost me $ too.
SO, big question is:
state for $70
or cmc for babysitter $
ugh, why can't things be EASY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????
My son does speech therapy as well, this is our 2nd time through it as first it was for a delay and now it's for articulation. I've been through both the state and the private processes and we currently are doing both. If you'd like any information, I'm happy to shed my 2 cents and what I personally think the pros and cons of each are. Feel free to email me! Good luck with your decision.
ReplyDeleteBrooke, just wanted to let you know, if you didn't mind me having my boys, I would be more than happy to come sit for free on the days you need to take Wyatt. I'm sure you will have other people offer but I just wanted to throw it out there in case you really needed it!
ReplyDeleteJust found your blog. I am going through this right now. I have been round and round with our insurance/private speech/state. I found that I am the ONLY advocate for my child and I have to fight hard to get answers. Even if that means calling someone non-stop, or emailing them every day. We have been going through this since October. And while I am not an expert, I do feel like I know a lot about the process. Please please email me if you have any questions at all. I would be more than happy to help you and save you some of the frustration and time that I experienced.
ReplyDelete